Hogwarts Inspired Style – Slytherin

A while ago, I got really into creating different, more wearable looks inspired by the Divergent factions. I have no idea why, although at some point it served as a pastime while I was on a business trip to Shanghai. I’ve since found a replacement for Polyvore (RIP) so I could continue creating outfits and indulging all my fashion ideas. So, this time, I’m creating looks inspired by the four Hogwarts Houses. I did three looks per House: a dressy-casual one, an actual casual one, and an actual dressy one. So we’ll start with my favorite House: Slytherin. 

Slytherin Inspired Look

Jeans: Rag and Bone / Top: Jardin Des Orangers / Earrings: Kendra Scott / Jacket: Mango / Ring: Zales / Clutch: Versace; Shoes: Christian Louboutin

I’ll say it right now–the Slytherin looks are my favorite of the bunch. Not only because I’m biased because I am (partially) one, nor because it’s my favorite House; but because these are looks that most closely reflect my own personal style. Pretty much 80% of my closet is black; this isn’t groundbreaking news. And the other 20% is comprised of cooler, deeper jewel tones, including this deep green that I’ve recently fallen in love with and will start incorporating into my wardrobe. 

I thought of how I wanted the essence of Slytherin House depicted through fashion. Slytherins are complex, mysterious, formidable. They’re not necessarily evil; on the contrary, some of worst (or just plain obnoxious) characters were Gryffindors (Peter Pettigrew, Ginny Weasley) and Ravenclaw (Lockhart, Quirrell). I like to think of true Slytherins (not evil Slytherins) as the best aspects of the other three Houses; a more rational, strategic Gryffindor; more emotional, passionate Ravenclaw; a more ambitious Hufflepuff. (So basically, a Thunderbird, which coincidentally is also my Ilvermorny House. #represent) 

I felt like Slytherin was best represented with looks that were really sleek, modern, and edgy. “Understated elegance” was sort of the guiding principle when creating these looks. Lots of black, with pops of the official House colors, green and silver. Clean lines, and a mysterious, sort of catwoman-esque feel. Think designers like Theory, Tom Ford, Saint Laurent. And I wanted the House mascot to be incorporated in some way, whether through jewelry (snake ring) or through a snakeskin bag, or snakeskin shoe. I thought these were all really subtle, unmistakeable nods to Slytherin. 

Slytherin Inspired Casual Look

Jeans: Rag and Bone / Sweater: Carven / Jacket: AllSaints / Shoes: Veja / Bag: YSL / Ring: Tiffany / Bracelet: Alex & Ani / Sunglasses: RayBan / Earrings: Ruby and Oscar

For a more casual, laidback look, I stuck to the same signature elements of clean lines and mostly monochromatic palette but switched out key pieces. Same black skinny jeans, but instead of a fitted turtleneck, a dark green cropped sweater topped with a black moto jacket. Instead of heeled booties, sleek (ethically-made and eco-friendly!) sneakers. A much more understated snake ring and snakeskin bag. Emerald earrings as a nod to the Slytherin gemstone. And a bracelet with a snake charm (from Alex and Ani’s official Harry Potter collection). 

Slytherin Inspired Dressy Look

Dress: Saint Laurent / Shoes: Jimmy Choo / Ring: Zales / Earrings: Macy’s / Clutch: Rebecca Minkoff

I wanted the Slytherin dressy look to be sexy in a really understated, mysterious way. The first piece I chose in this look was actually the shoe–I love this Jimmy Choo snakeskin pump and thought it was perfect for a dressy Slytherin look. I thought it paired really well with a piece like this Saint Laurent dress–a simple, LBD with details that make it a bit different and more interesting. It’s not a typical arm-baring or strapless LBD–it’s a long-sleeved LBD, but with a plunging neckline and tighter silhouette on the skirt. It’s sexy, but not ostentatiously so, and it bares skin in more unexpected ways. And because the dress was still simple, the accessories could really pop–like the statement emerald earrings, bright green clutch, and statement snake ring. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s